(KTVI) – A sure sign of spring is homeowners who need work done on their houses. Some contractors don’t live up to their promises. Now the Better Business Bureau is warning us about a company called Conyers Construction.
Chris Thetford, with the BBB, joined us to explain what they are hearing from consumers.
Here are some tips from the BBB on how to select a construction company:
· Research a company thoroughly. If at all possible, visit its business address. Ask for references and contact them. Ask your county or municipal building officials if they have had experience with the company.
· Get a signed contract that details the work to be done, materials to be used, work deadlines and when payments are due. If you have any concerns with the contract, make sure changes are made before you sign it.
· Do not pay the full amount in advance of the work being completed. A good rule of thumb is to pay one-third when the contract is signed, another third when the job is 50 percent complete and the final third when you are satisfied with the completed job.
· Get more than one bid. If one of the bidders is significantly lower than the others, try to find out why before signing a contract with the business.
· Pay by credit card whenever possible in the event you may want to challenge the charge.
· Check a company’s BBB Business Review at www.bbb.org or by calling 314-645-3300.
Read more about one couple who was scammed by the contractors: http://mehlville-oakville.patch.com/articles/south-county-couple-scammed-by-fenton-contractor