Hazmat Scare Overnight in New Baden, IL
NEW BADEN, IL (KTVI) – A hazardous materials leak overnight in New Baden, IL. Around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, a farmer on his tractor was pulling two tanks of anhydrous ammonia. Suddenly he caught a whiff of the chemical leaking and then noticed a vapor cloud behind him.
He called officials who sent a Hazmat team to assess and block off the area. No one was evacuated, but area residents were told to stay inside their homes with windows closed until the vapor cloud disappeared.
At one point, the clean up crews scrambled to safety when the winds shifted and started to blow the potentially dangerous gas towards them.
- Two killed, bus driver injured in crash; another cyclist saw it all happen
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- "Listen, Listen, honey!" 3-year-old negotiates cupcakes for dinner
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media
- Police identify Babler State Park Murder-Suicide victims