Police: Columbia Man Found Dead May Have Overdosed
COLUMBIA, Ill. (AP) _ Investigators who initially suspected something suspicious in the death of a man found in his southwestern Illinois home now say the case may have been a drug overdose.
The Major Case Squad of Greater St. Louis was disbanding Tuesday in the case of 45-year-old Craig Wood. His body was found Sunday in his Columbia home after officers were asked to conduct a well-being check.
Investigators had said without elaborating they were treating the case as a homicide. But an autopsy Monday found the initial cause of death to be a drug overdose.
The type of drug used in the overdose wasn’t released, though investigators say synthetic marijuana and a white substance were found in the home.
Police say results of a full toxicology report could take several weeks.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media
- "Listen, Listen, honey!" 3-year-old negotiates cupcakes for dinner
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview