(KTVI)-Families often mark the Fourth of July marks holiday with picnics, BBQs, pools and fireworks. Sadly, it is also a time that can lead to a trip to the emergency room if precautions aren’t taken. Mercy Children's Hospital doctors and nurses want you to play it safe this holiday.
Fireworks Safety Tips:
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
- Set up safety barriers when setting off fireworks at home; children are curious and may get too close.
- Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves and flammable materials.
- Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
- Keep a bucket of water handy in case of a malfunction.
- Always wear protective clothing. Many times kids are swimming and stop to do sparklers. This is never a good idea, as swimwear doesn`t provide good coverage.
- Shoes are a must. Aside from stray sparks that can land on the feet, there are often hot leftover casings that may cause serious burns if stepped on.
For more about Mercy, visit www.mercy.net