IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DISH SUBSCRIBERS – SERVICE INTERRUPTION – CLICK HERE

Officials: Smoking May Be To Blame For Chesterfield Apartment Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD, MO (KTVI) - An early-morning fire chased dozens of Chesterfield residents from their homes.  An apartment fire left one person injured and lots of damage behind.

The fire broke out at the Shoettler Village Apartments around 2:00 a.m. Friday. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found heavy smoke coming from the building. They pulled a man out and started going door to door trying to wake residents.

The fire went to three alarms. Monarch Fire Protection Chief Tom Vineyard says crews also rescued two people from balconies.  Also, one firefighter suffered a minor shoulder injury and went to the hospital.

The American Red Cross assisted the families, and gave the firefighters water on the scene.

It appears the fire may have been caused by someone smoking while in bed.