Cardinals Pound Giants 8-2, win 4th straight at Busch Stadium
Jon Jay rapped out four hits and drove in two runs to lead the Cardinals to an 8-2 win over the San Francisco Giants on Monday night at Busch Stadium. The win is the Cards fourth straight.
Jake Westbrook pitched six innings allowing just two runs to win his fourth straight decision. The Cardinals bullpen then pitched three scoreless innings to back Westbrook’s quality start.
Offensively, Carlos Beltran hit his 26th home run of the season to tie the game at one in the 2nd inning. Rafael Furcal’s single also in the 2nd, drove in a run and gave the Redbirds a 2-1 lead. St. Louis broke this game open in the 6th inning with three runs. A David Freese sac fly scored the go ahead run. Then pinch hitter Matt Carpenter delivered a bases loaded two run single to raise the lead to 5-2. In the 7th inning, more insurance for the Cardinals. Freese delivered an RBI single to make it 6-2. Jon Jay closed out the scoring with his fourth hit of the contest, a two run single to make it 8-2.
The Reds lost to the Brewers in Milwaukee, so the Cardinals now trail first place Cincinnati by just six games. Pittsburgh won their game and remain two and a half games up on the Cardinals in the NL Wild Card race.
- Pot cookies and brownies from Colorado land two suspects in jail
- Jefferson City police searching for missing girl possibly in St. Louis
- Two teens attacked mob style on Washington Avenue
- Suspect shot, killed after trying to rob "Check 'n Go" store
- Man hunt: Preacher accused of 59 counts of molesting girls in Minnesota