Low Sodium, High Flavor Food
(KTVI) – STL Veggie Girl Caryn Dugan stopped by to show off a recipe that’s packed with flavor, but not sodium.
Low Sodium Easy Tex-Mex Beans
2 15 ounce cans low sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 jalapeno chiles, chopped fine (seeds removed)
1 tsp Mexican oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp fresh lime juice
½ – ¾ C low sodium vegetable broth
In sauté pan, heat garlic in oil on medium heat.
Add onion and jalapeño as oil begins to warm.
Add oregano and cumin and sauté, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, adding a few drops of water if they begin to stick.
Add black beans and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, to allow flavors to blend.
Add chopped cilantro and lime juice and stir.
Serve in a tortilla as a burrito, top over rice, noodles or a bed of greens.
- Two killed, bus driver injured in crash; another cyclist saw it all happen
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- "Listen, Listen, honey!" 3-year-old negotiates cupcakes for dinner
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media
- Police identify Babler State Park Murder-Suicide victims