Could University City Flash Flooding Happen Again?
UNIVERSITY CITY, MO (KTVI)– Another community that wants to make sure it’s prepared for the leftovers of Isaac is University City.
Two people drowned there four years ago in flash flooding from Hurricane Ike.
Wilson Avenue in University City is a street that saw a killer flash flood in 2008 from the remnants of Hurricane Ike.
A man and woman died when they were swept away by the flooded River Des Peres.
Since then, several homes that backed up to the river have been bought out. That area is now a large green space.
But homes across the street were flooded in 2008 as well, basements had several inches to several feet of water and raw sewage from sewer backups.
Now, as the remnants of Hurricane Isaac are heading our way, residents are worried and taking precautions.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Motorcyclist killed in Jefferson County crash identified
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media