Sista Strut 2012 St. Louis : Strutting To Cure Cancer
ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI -KTVI FOX2 News / KPLR TV are proud to be one of the sponsors of Sista Strut 2012 .The goal of Sista Strut is to heighten awareness about the issues of breast cancer in women of color, as well as provide information on community resources. Studies show that African American women are more likely to get breast cancer at a younger age and have a death rate from breast cancer twice that of Caucasian women of the same age. Sista Strut recognizes the strength of survivors, their family and friends, heightens awareness, promotes early detection and the search for a cure.
The Pink Glove Unity Dance! The Pink Glove Unity Dance is where all strutters join together in a dance of celebration for the survivors, remembrance for those who lost the battle to breast cancer and a unified expression of hope for a cure. It is so much fun and really gets the crowd pumped for the walk. Then the actual walk begins at 10am at the Missouri History Museum in Forest Park.
Proceeds from Sista Strut 2012 will benefit:
- The Breakfast Club, Inc., an African-American breast cancer support group founded in 1997 by St. Louisian and breast cancer survivor Sherrill Jackson.
- The Black Women Breast Cancer Survivors Project, a community-based project that conducts programming and research guided by black women breast cancer survivors, at the University of Missouri-St. Louis.
- The Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine, an international leader in cancer treatment, research, prevention, education and community outreach for Missouri and beyond
The deadline for Late Registration is this Saturday, September 15th. The cost for Late Registration is $20. *Viewers can register online at SistaStrutSTL.com with a credit card *They can also visit us at select Macy’s stores to register *The 3rd Annual Sista Strut Breast Cancer Walk is Saturday, October 6th at the Missouri History Museum in Forest Park. *Viewers can also register the day of for $25. *All registrations need include a 2012 Sista Strut commemorative t-shirt.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media