Police: Mom Left Kids to Charge Cell Phone
Atlanta, GA (WGCL) — An Atlanta woman was arrested after police say she left her children alone in an unlocked apartment.
Around 11 p.m. Tuesday night, a security guard at an apartment complex on Confederate Court noticed the back door to a unit was open.
The officer entered the unit and saw two children, ages 6 and 2, lying on the bed in the rear bedroom. Also inside the home was pit bull puppy.
Police said the apartment had no electricity, dog feces was found on the floor, and the oven door was left open and on.
The security officer said the children were alone for “a couple hours” before Atlanta police officers arrived on scene.
While investigators were at the apartment, the mother of the children, Shantonia Anquette Heard returned home after an additional hour and told the officer that she went to her cousin’s home to charge her cell phone.
Heard was taken into custody and charged with cruelty to children. She is being held at the Fulton County Jail.
Heard’s children are in the custody of the Division of Family and Children Services.
The dog was placed in Fulton County Animal Control custody until Heard is released from jail.
By Bernard Watson
- Police: Infant's body found in Missouri cave
- Man gives homeless guy a ‘winning’ lottery ticket; homeless guy insists they share it
- Man arrested after making threatening phone call to Granite City school
- Jury finds man guilty of shooting, paralyzing Officer Vernon
- Missouri half-brothers meet after 18-year search