Recipe: Vegan Bacon Green Bean Caserole
ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – Need a vegan dish for the holidays for vegitarian relatives? We got a tasty one for you. STLVegGirl Caryn Dugan has the perfect recipe for your Thanksiving Day feast.
More info: http://www.stlveggirl.com/
Recipe: Bacon Inspired VEGAN Green Bean Casserole with Cheese
- 1 ½ lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 1-2TBS olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 C mushrooms (crimini or shiitake), roughly chopped
- 3 ½ C creamy mushroom soup (almost one box)
- 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast
- 4 TBS Baco Bits, divided
- 2 TBS dry sherry
- 6 TBS Panko bread crumbs
- ½ C vegan cheddar cheese, shredded (Daiya brand is good)
- 6 oz can of fried onions
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and heat up your green beans for 5-7 minutes until bright green and just tender. Remove from heat, drain and shock with cold water. Set aside.
In a large pan, over medium high heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil for about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to stir for another 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, until they break down and release their juices.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the soup and flour. Whisk until there are no lumps and add in the salt/pepper and nutritional yeast. Continue to whisk until well integrated. Pour mixture over the mushrooms, add in the sherry and stir often for 10 minutes until you have a thick sauce.
Add in your green beans, half of the fried onions and 2 TBS of Baco Bits. Stir well.
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour in your green beans. Top with bread crumbs, vegan cheese, the remaining 2 TBS of Baco Bits, and 3 oz of fried onions. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until it begins to bubble. If you can stand it, allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Two killed, bus driver injured in crash; another cyclist saw it all happen
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media
- "Listen, Listen, honey!" 3-year-old negotiates cupcakes for dinner
- Baby falls out of car onto roadway