Bad Mix? Doctors Warn About Grapefruit Juice
(CNN)– Doctors in Canada are warning about a growing number of prescription drugs with potentially deadly interactions with grapefruit juice.
The caution comes in an article published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
One of the authors, David Bailey, is a clinical pharmacologist who discovered the interaction between grapefruit and certain medications more than two decades ago.
Bailey says there are now more than 85 known drugs with the potential for interaction with grapefruit juice. Of them, 43 can have serious side effects, including sudden death.
Bailey notes taking one tablet of some medications with a glass of grapefruit juice can be the same as taking 20 tablets, turning therapeutic doses into toxic ones.
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Two killed in double motorcycle crash in Wentzville
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Motorcyclist killed in Jefferson County crash identified
- Mother of three loses 110 pounds after battling baby weight