Mother Tosses Baby From Window During Apartment Fire
ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)– One person is recovering after an apartment fire forced them to jump to safety.
The flames were so bad a mother inside the building tossed her child out a window to rescuers below.
This happened around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday in the 2500 block of Hodiamont Ave in north St. Louis.
The fire started in a first floor apartment. Residents say smoke filled the entire building.
Several people were forced to jump from second floor windows. One of them suffered a leg injury.
A mother faced a terrifying choice, go into a smoke filled hallway or use the window.
I am told that the mother was screaming for help. She eventually dropped her baby from the window. I spoke with the man who caught the baby he says it was horrifying.
“It was terrible,” Cornell Williams said. “She had to drop the baby. I think the mother was more scared than the baby.”
The baby was brought to Children’s Hospital. I am told the baby is doing just fine.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media