Chicago Homicides Reach 500; St. Louis at 113
(CNN) – It’s been a bloody year in Chicago. Local news media report the city has seen 500 murders happen in 2012. Chicago hit the grim milestone last night when a 40-year-old man was shot in the head while standing outside a convenience store in this West Side neighborhood.
So far, no suspects have been arrested in the case.
Local news media say the city’s homicide rate is up 17 percent this year.
They say there haven’t been this many murders in Chicago since 2008, when there were 512 homicides.
St. Louis has had 113 for 2012 so far. This is the same number of homicides as 2011.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media