IL Legislation Allows Illegal Immigrant Driver’s Licenses
SPRINGFIELD, IL (KTVI) – The Illinois House has approved legislation that would allow illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses. SB 957 sailed through the Senate and has received bipartisan support.
Those in favor of the bill call it a matter of public safety saying that immigrant drivers already behind the wheel have not passed a driving test. The bill will also ensure every driver is properly insured.
An estimated 250,000 illegal immigrants of driving age in Illinois will be able to get driver’s licenses. The licenses would not be able to be used for identification purposes. Applicants will have to take driver’s tests, prove Illinois residency, and have a picture taken that would go into a state database.
In response to the bill’s passing, Governor Pat Quinn issued a statement that reads in part:
“I want to commend members of the Illinois House for their bipartisan passage of legislation that will help ensure every Illinois motorist is properly licensed and empower more immigrants to become stronger contributors to our economy.”
Gov. Quinn ended his statement by saying he looks forward to signing the bill.”
Illegal immigrants are able to get licenses in New Mexico and Washington.
Click here to read SB 957
- Pot cookies and brownies from Colorado land two suspects in jail
- Jefferson City police searching for missing girl possibly in St. Louis
- Two teens attacked mob style on Washington Avenue
- Suspect shot, killed after trying to rob "Check 'n Go" store
- Man hunt: Preacher accused of 59 counts of molesting girls in Minnesota