Baby Burned In Fire In Critical Condition

Posted on: 6:09 am, January 11, 2013, by , updated on: 12:13pm, January 11, 2013

CASEYVILLE, IL (KTVI) – An infant that was severely burned in an early-morning fire is in critical but stable condition, according to hospital officials.

Two-month-old Jayla Hopson was taken to Cardinal Glennon Medical Center around midnight after a mistake by the baby’s grandmother led to the fire.   Authorities say the baby suffered severe burns over 10 to 12 percent of her body.

The incident happened at a mobile home on Southern Drive just off Highway 159 near Caseyville.  The child’s aunt said the Jayla’s grandmother was using oxygen and was in bed with the child when she took off an oxygen mask and lit a cigarette.  Hollywood Heights fire chief Buddy Moore say that sparked a flash fire which burned the baby girl.  More says the fire was basically out when crews arrived.

Laura Tucker, Jayla’s mom, did not speak publicly about the incident, but did release a statement Friday afternoon:
           “My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened. Immediately after she   realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor’s house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time.”

Authorities say two children lived at the mobile home including the baby with the children’s mother and grandmother. Chief Moore calls what happened an accident but says it appears there was negligence on the part of the grandmother.