St. Louis 2012 Crime Stats Released
ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) — The St. Louis 2012 crime figures were released and the numbers show overall crime is down, but city leaders say there is still a lot of work to do.
St. Louis Metropolitan Police Chief Sam Dotson called 2012 a “progressive” and “good” year for the city where crime figures were concerned. But he concedes crime is still too high is in some city neighborhoods.
Overall crime in the city of St. Louis for 2012 was down 12.4 percent compared to 2011.
- Violent crime or crimes against persons dropped 4.9 percent while property crime decreased by 14.2 percent.
- There were 113 murders last year in the city — the exact same amount as in 2011.
- Burglaries dropped the most at 28.9%.
- Robberies were down as well as larcenies.
- Aggravated assaults were up slightly so were vehicle thefts and arsons.
- Rapes showed the largest jump at 5.9% but police attribute at least part of that to new reporting definitions.
Chief Dotson says methods like hot spot policing where officers saturate high-crime areas reduce crime.