Humans have always been fascinated by birds of prey. But did you know they`ve been working with them for thousands of years too? The sport is called falconry. A special Program at Powder Valley will introduce you to falconers and their falcons. Terri Eggers Joins us t with more.
Q. So what is Falconry exactly?
- Falconry is the art of training raptors to capture wild game
- The bird and trainer essentially become hunting partners
- The use of falconry can be traced back to 700 B.C.E.
- Some accounts show even farther back than that
- Display some specialized falconry accouterments
Q. What types of birds are used by falconers?
- Birds of prey such as Peregrine Falcons
- Coopers Hawks
- Red-Tail Hawks
- Point out mounted birds and falconry props
Q. So tell us about an Evening with Raptors.
- This Friday night at Powder Valley from 7:00 to 9:00 pm
- A free program for the whole family
- First portion has an educational presentation on birds of prey and the sport of falconry
- The second half, Missouri Falconers will bring their birds for visitors to see close up
- Great way to meet the birds and talk to the falconers about their sport
- They`ll also bring some of their equipment to look at
- Also perfect for photo ops, so bring your cameras
Q. What about registration?
Evening with Raptors is Free but advanced registration is required
Call Powder Valley at 314-301-1500.