Lightning Hits O’Fallon Home, Spark 2-Alarm Fire
O’Fallon, MO (KTVI) — No one was home when lightning struck a St. Charles County home later Tuesday evening.
It happened while storms rolled across the area just before 8 p.m. O’Fallon firefighters were called the Tournament Tee Lane in O’Fallon when a resident reported that he thought his house was struck by lightning.
When a fire crew arrived on scene, the captain noticed smoke coming from a home across the street. The top level filled with smoke and the basement was ablaze.
Authorities were able to put out the fire, but the home sustained heavy damage. According to Scott Avery with the O’Fallon Fire Protection District, lightning may have hit a gas line and burst causing the fire.
The family is away on vacation and no injuries were reported.