Pope Benedict XVI Gives Final Sunday Blessing
VATICAN CITY (KTVI)-Pope Benedict XVI has given his final blessing before he steps down from the papacy on Thursday. An estimated 100,000 people packed St. Peter’s Square to hear the pope’s last blessing. He spoke in several languages and thanked Catholics and others for their prayers.
More coverage: Archdiocese Hosts Thanksgiving Mass For Pope Benedict
Benedict will be the first pope to step down in 600 years. He cites his age and diminishing strength as reasons for his resignation. The Pontiff has one more scheduled public event: a general audience in St. Peter’s Square Wednesday.
A conclave of cardinals will meet soon to begin the selection of the next leader of the Catholic Church.
Pope Benedict To Resign At The End Of The Month
- Police: Infant's body found in Missouri cave
- Man gives homeless guy a ‘winning’ lottery ticket; homeless guy insists they share it
- Man arrested after making threatening phone call to Granite City school
- Jury finds man guilty of shooting, paralyzing Officer Vernon
- Poplar Street Bridge reopens after major semi crash