Head Start Programs Facing Big Budget Cuts
ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)– There is controversy over federal budget cuts to the Head Start pre-school program.
The Obama administration says 1,200 children in Missouri will lose their slots in Head Start due to the sequester.
In Illinois 2,700 fewer children will be able to enroll in Head Start.
Those cuts would take effect at the start of the next school year in September.
The White House estimates Missouri will lose $12 million in federal education funds under the sequester.
Illinois stands to lose over 33 million in education aid.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media