Gas Leak, Fire in North St. Louis Not Related

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - An early morning fire guts a North St. Louis home just hours after a natural gas leak at the same home forces several houses to be evacuated.

We`ve been talking with officials from both the St. Louis Fire Department and Laclede Gas.
A fire department says there is no connection between the two incidents.
A Laclede spokesperson says gas to the home, which was vacant, had been turned off hours before the fire.

This all happened on Genevieve close to West Florissant.  The fire started at the vacant house just before 2:45 a.m. Tuesday.
Investigators say when crews arrived, the home was already fully involved with flames shooting through the roof.

Crews were able to eventually get the fire out but not before the heat damaged a garage to a home next door.
A cause for the fire is still under investigation.
Investigators say a gas leak originated from the same home about 7:40 p.m. Monday night eading to nine houses being evacuated.
Laclede Gas workers noticed a spike in the natural gas meter at the home and sent a crew to investigate.


A high concentration of natural gas was found in the home.
That`s when fire crews were called in and the evacuations ordered.
Laclede gas crews capped the natural gas main from the curb, stopping gas from running to the home.
Residents were allowed to return about 10:00 p.m. Monday when natural gas levels had dropped.
A Laclede spokesperson says it appears a natural gas line was running to a dryer but there was no dryer there.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt in either incident.