Student saves choking friend; learned Heimlich from “Baywatch”
Damon Starks was walking through the cafeteria on September 24 when he saw his friend, Angelin Appolon, an international student, choking.
Starks performed the Heimlich Maneuver and was able to dislodge the food from Appolon’s throat.
Starks, 25, bashfully admitted that he learned to do the Heimlich from an episode of the popular 90′s show, “Baywatch” which starred David Hasselhoff.
The Oakville high school grad says he doesn’t consider himself a hero.
“Everybody was sitting around. If you don’t do something, why wait for the worst outcome? I would rather be proactive than reactive,” Starks said.
Appolon is doing fine, a St. Louis Community College spokesperson said Monday morning.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media