New breast cancer drug approved by the FDA
(KTVI) – There is a new medicine to treat breast cancer before surgery. It’s the first drug of its kind approved for use.
Dr. Theresa Schwartz is a breast surgeon with Saint Louis University Hospital and she talks about “Perjeta.”
It was just approved by the FDA. It benefits women with a form of early-stage breast cancer who face a high risk of having their cancer spread to other parts of the body.
The FDA granted the drug accelerated approval for its new use based on a study showing women who received the drug as an initial treatment were more likely to be cancer-free 12 weeks later than women who received older drug combinations.
- Police identify two motorcyclists killed in Wentzville accident
- Mother accused of detonating fireworks inside SUV found dead
- Company denies drug to dying child, family turns to social media
- "Listen, Listen, honey!" 3-year-old negotiates cupcakes for dinner
- "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin’s last words revealed in interview