Katie is a licensed dietitian at Barnes Jewish Hospitaland she gives us some healthier options for your Thanksgiving meal.
Lightened up Thanksgiving recipes
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pounds (about 2 large) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes.
1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a bowl, mix together the pecans, orange juice, honey, brown sugar, olive oil, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Stir in the sweet potato cubes.
2. Pour into a 9x13 pan and cover with foil.
3. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Stir and bake for another 15 minutes uncovered or until the potatoes are tenderand the glaze has thickened.
Nutrition information per serving: 113 calories, 4.3g total fat, 1g sat fat, 18.5g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 7.5g sugar, 1.0g protein, 4 mg sodium vs. Traditional sweet potato casserole nutritional information per serving: 421 calories, 18g fat, 7g sat fat, 61g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 6g protein, 160 mg sodium
Downright Delicious Stuffing
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 cups of cubed whole wheat bread
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Cut whole wheat loaf into ½ inch cubes. Let sit out overnight to dry or bake inoven at 350° for 10-15 minutes until toasted.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a pan or skillet, sauté celery, onion, carrots and olive oil for about 8-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
3. In a large bowl mix together the vegetable mixture and bread crumbs.
4. Once mixed add chicken broth to moisten the bread. Pour breadcrumbs into an oiled 9x13 dish or 2-quart casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden.
Nutrition information per serving: 108 calories, 10g fat, 6g fiber, 15g carbohydrate, 1g sugar, 2 g protein, 113 mg sodium vs. Stove Top® stuffing nutritional information per ½ cup serving: 150 calories, 1g fat, 1g dietary fiber, 21g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 410 mg sodium,
Green Bean Casserole
1 pound of thawed French-style green beans
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 10.5-ounce can low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
½ onion cut into thin strips
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a pan, sauté chopped onion in olive oil until onion is
transparent. Stir in soup and nonfat Greek yogurt.
2. In a greased 9x13 pan, add the green beans and soup and yogurt mixture.
3. Bake for 20 minutes. While the casserole is baking (also can be made ahead of time), spread out onion strips and lightly spray with cooking spray.
4. Sprinkle whole wheat flour over the strips until they are lightly coated.
5. In a skillet over medium heat, crisp up the strips until lightly brown. Once brown, sprinkle on top of the casserole and bake for 5 more minutes.
Nutrition information per serving: 77 calories, 2.0g total fat, 1.2g sat fat, 12g carbohydrate, 0g sugar, 2g fiber, 138 mg sodium vs. French`s® green bean casserole nutritional information per serving: 161 calories, 9g fat, 530 mg sodium 17g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g protein
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Mix the sugar and pumpkin pie mix. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
2. Add the 2 eggs and slowly stir in the evaporated milk.
3. Pour into pie shell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Decrease the temperature to 350° and bake for another 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
Nutrition information per serving: 280 calories, 11g fat, 5g saturated fat, 40g carbohydrates, 25g sugar, 2g fiber, 6g protein, 360 mg sodium vs. Pecan pie nutritional information per serving: 536 calories, 31g total fat, 8g sat fat, 64g carbohydrate, 49g sugar, 2g fiber, 6g protein, 205 mg sodium