MO woman calls “WH0R” license plate offensive

Posted on: 8:59 pm, November 21, 2013, by , updated on: 05:57am, November 22, 2013

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)– A Missouri woman is upset about a license plate she was issued last week.

It reads WHOR8X. Deb Levy told Fox 2 it looks like an “offensive” word used to demean woman.

“Who would want to drive around with that word on the back of their car?” she said.

Levy said when she complained she was told she would have to pay $17 if she wanted a new combination of numbers and letters.

“It is not about the money, but when I showed it to them they said it just said who,” Levy said. “Can you spell!”

After Fox 2 called the Missouri Department of Revenue Thursday and officials agreed to give her a new plate for free.

“Channel 2 news had to make this happen,” Levy said.

Levy said she is happy to be getting a new plate, but until she gets it she is driving with her old expired plate.

“I won’t put that offensive plate on my car,” she said. “My daughter drives this car.”

• M says:

That’s the news.

• Phil Adams says:

Who rakes? Does she hate leaves? Another case of someone desperately trying to be a victim. Just ridiculous. I hope she gets repeatedly ticketed for driving with expired plates.

• Renee says:

WOW people you need to go back to school to learn to spell, It stands out like a sore thumb! Good for you! I would not drive with that on a license plate either!

• Tiffany says:

Whore spelled with e hers said who r8x seriously i think we can spell. If u see an E in there please show us where its at.

• Barbara Repko says:

Maybe Renee is dumb enough to think whore is spelled “whor.” Brainless people shouldn’t be walking around without a keeper.

• chrisv says:

…says the woman who evidently thinks it’s spelled W-H-O-R. WOW. In actuality, that’s just Thor’s promiscuous older sister.

Not to mention that it actually reads like this: WH015R8X. That’s offensive… Riiiiiight.

And Fox2, nice job enabling this busy-body loser to continue being a busy-body loser and contributing to the further decay of Western society. Really, mudos.

• or you could go back to school and learn what a “space” means.

• Deb was grateful but said, “It took Channel 2 to make this happen and why, why should it take a news station to make something simple like this happen?”

I’ll tell you why Deb – because you’re making something out of NOTHING. You’re the ONLY one that read “whore 8 times”. Everyone else saw “who r8x”…I thought it meant “who rakes”.

• Al says:

I don’t know what school you went to, but we spell the word whore, not who (15) r8x
      maybe you spell the word stu p67 instead stupid

• sandiegomomma says:

I wouldn’t want it on my car either.

• Leslie says:

I really don’t understand why she just couldn’t be issued another set of plates at the time that they were issued. I can see not wanting a high school girl driving a car with those plates. High School can be brutal. From a customer service standpoint I would think that as a taxpayer paying their salary you should have the option to change the plate if there’s something that’s offensive to you on them.

• Stacy says:

They are not paid by tax dollars. All offices are individually owned & regulated by dept of motor vehicle rules

• Jen says:

Good for you Deb take a stand if it offends you and personally I agree

• JANET says:

IF SHE HAD APPLIED FOR THAT PLATE THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD HER IT WAS PROFANITY AND WOULDN’T HAVE LET HER HAVE IT. I WANTED LILSHT AND WAS TOLD IT WAS PROFANITY.

• marlin says:

but who are the 8x? I’m sure there are a few more who r** plates running around missouri. and to go on record as to saying she will drive with expired plates is the best part!

• Brent says:

Most people would not have noticed unless it was brought up. Of course these are the same people who approved the “not see” plate

• Dana Lurtz says:

Well, I didn’t even realize it, until I read it in the news paragraph! I was trying to think what the big fuss was, then I after putting the letters together I saw it, but it took me awhile. I guess people see what they want to see, especially when their mind is in the gutter!

• Cedric says:

Overly dramatic PERIOD

• Margie Downs says:

I refused to take plates with three 6′s in it and they had no problem letting me take the next set of plates…so not sure why they just did not give her a different set of plates…and the comment about the high school girl driving with those plates I totally agree with but then that is another issue

• Drew says:

I hope she gets pulled over for expired tags.

• wendy says:

i didnt even whore i thought more “who is racists” was i thought it was about till read title i like ok lol

• Nunya says:

She could have simply told the license office at the time of issue she wanted different plates, but no, she took them so she could make a big deal about it, get some media attention and make the Missouri Department of Revenue look bad, the only person here who looks bad is her. The license plate is WHO R8X, there is a space between WHO and R and there is a colored sticker there making it clearly separate, it is not WHOR8X it is WHO R8X, it is clearly not a vanity plate so I doubt many people with the exception of a few perverts would even put the letters together. I only look at vanity plates not regular state issued plates as do most people when trying to figure out what they say or mean. My friends grandma had state issued plates that read FUT 001 so I guess she should have been offended it read FUTOO1 huh?

• D says:

I agree with you the letters are spaced making it out to be another word. If the letters had been together than I might see her point. Plus if the plate did say whor8x then you would have to pay extra for that it is called a vanity plate at that point.

• Love the Lord says:

Do you go to the same license bureau that I do??? Who looks at their plate numbers? After all the poor service and long time of waiting, going back home to get something ridiculous that they require, you’re just glad to get your plates and run. I have never been there where someone didn’t leave frustrated because they lost their information in the system. Please . . . and I definitely wouldn’t want my mom driving around with those plates on her car as I am a christian mom with Godly wisdom and morals.

• Barbara Repko says:

Apparently you don’t have enough “wisdom” to see that this plate doesn’t spell out anything, unless you’re so bored you’re intentionally looking to find something that “offends” you. Wah wah wah.

• the misogyny being demonstrated in these comments is sickening.

• Sofia says:

This is literally the stupidest thing I have ever read. She clearly overreacted why get the news involved ?!?! I

• Karen says:

I find it offensive that this news story was chosen to be covered at the location where a meeting that Nuclear Waste expert Robert Alvarez was speaking about the extremely radiotoxic wastes sitting in the West Lake Landfill. Shame on Fox 2 for reporting on that over the serious information Mr. Alvarez had to present. The safety of this community outweighs a story over what’s on someone’s license plates. Please visit the West Lake Landfill facebook page or visit the website at http://www.stlradwastelegacy.com to get all the information about the West Lake Landfill!

• Sam says:

Karen nobody cares

• ByeByeToTheRite says:

Karen, as I said on another similar story, Fox News has become another National Enquirer/Star. Only trivial sensationalist stories meant to fire up their right-wing religious extremist viewer base! The story about the toxic waste is too factual and important for the small right-wing mind. Sad but true.

• Justin says:

I have seen plates that were A55 H0L

• Love the Lord says:

It is absolutely offensive. This is what the devil does. He moves in subtle ways to play on peoples minds. I wouldn’t drive with those plates on my car and certainly wouldn’t have my teenage daughter driving around with them. (my earlier post must have been offensive to someone as it wasn’t posted)

• John says:

Sounds like a guilty conscience to me. ;-)

• sherman says:

WH Zero R Eight X. there are no O’s in tag numbers.

• brooke says:

The offense is in the mind of the one interpreting the plate. The Dept. of Revenue nor the state strategically make the regular plates to say anything in particular. My husband saw this last night before we knew what the “offensive” word was and he said what does “Who R8X” mean?? I looked at it and thought the same thing. Did not see whore!!! My 70 year old momma drove around with FKN R49 on her plates and we didn’t realize it until later what it “could” be … I am a christian mom and find this very legalistic and sad that a fuss was made of this. :(

• Janie says:

Wow. Really?! it’s not even the letter O, it’s the number zero. It’s W, (letter) , H (letter) ZERO (number), dash, R (letter), 8 (number), X (letter). The state of Missouri does not use the letter O in license plates, instead uses the number zero (0). ALL MO (passenger) LICENSE PLATES ARE FOUR LETTERS AND TWO NUMBERS. And if she was soooo offended, why did she takes the plates? And then she’s going to make her teenage daughter use the plates???!!! Now that’s offensive. It’s disturbing that this even made the news. this is not news. this is someone with a victim mentality desperately grasping for attention.

• Tersesa Blankenship says:

Someone out their really needs this plate

• J Claud says:

I didn’t see it until she pointed it out. I’m more offended by her need for attention. Just because she’s fat, old and ugly is way more offensive than a license plate. Look at the voting, 2/3rds of the people who voted say this is ridiculous…because it is!

• DaninSTL says:

Funny to me. 8 times a Whore. :)

• chad says:

Attention WH0R maybe

• Ealon says:

I hope she gets pulled over many many times while she is waiting for her NEW plate to come in… since she stated she’s driving around with her expired plates right now…

• A Child Of God says:

Call Your Pastor And Ask: Is The Word Whore Degrading And Offensive To A Woman

• ByeByeToTheRite says:

Why would I need call a pastor? The word whore is insulting to women whether you believe in phony religion or not. The issue here is that word is not on the plate, and she’s taking it too far. This is not a religious issue – even though some of course like to make everything a religious issue.

• Larry says:

I cant believe the garbage i am reading apparently many of these comments are made by non texting old people we live in a text style world and as soon as i had seen these tags i thought no way should these tags be out there and it just solidifies my belief that missouri dor hires idiots to make these tags

• Barbara Repko says:

Actually it has nothing to do with knowing “text speak” which passes for English. DMV doesn’t issue plates with a letter O duh, so it only reads WH Zero (as in number)… Should be so simple even a rude spoiled child like you could figure it out, with a little help.

• Steve Ehlers says:

News reporters are idiots. This was more than likely on a Mazda RX8. So the plate simply means WHO RX8 meaning the car. Seems wasting time on dumb stuff like this is why our country destroyed.

• Angie says:

I didn’t even see that til I read the article. Come on. It isn’t that serious and is not news worthy at all. What people get into on uproar about amazes me.

• Chris says:

I’m offended that she found it offensive!

• ByeByeToTheRite says:

Those religious conservatives who are so easily offended by nonsense I find personally offensive.

• Love the Lord says:

I will be praying for you Bye Bye as you are trying so hard to hate God and His people that I can read it in your words. God must be speaking to you and you are fighting it. I am praying for your salvation.

• Barbara Repko says:

I would be considered a religious conservative by the left, but I find nothing offensive in this plate and it doesn’t even spell out “whore”. This pathetic fool just wants attention and free plates.

• Susie says:

I just got the plates with PL5 P1G a couple months ago. She should not of had a extra charge to get the next available plates

• Please don’t give people like this media attention.

• Jeebus says:

Well, if she wouldn’t have slept with everybody at the DMV.

• Kristi Jack says:

If you’re saying you don’t see it, you’re minimizing the obviousness of it so you can attack the woman for not wanting that plate. Someone made a very valid point, if she had APPLIED for that plate, they would have deemed it offensive and she wouldn’t have been allowed to have it. License plates are OFTEN vanity plates and if you don’t look for the words on a plate automatically, I don’t want you on my team for the license plate game. It’s there. She doesn’t want it. Big deal. Leave her alone. I wouldn’t want it either. It’s nothing to rake her over the coals about.

• Rob says:

Lol@deb levy the poll here says you’re out numbered why is this worthy of calling the news…that’s ridiculous and why do you feel you deserve a free replacement…if you don’t like it…Pay for a new one

• Matthew Mashek says:

I want to request those exact plates. That would be awesome! !!!!! Lol They seem like famous plates like the phone number song 867 5309. :)

• lauren says:

The who and rx8 is even seperated by a space. And its a zero not an o. Ignorance. And if she read it that way, well, obviously she looked for it. Stop publishing “so called news” stories because I hate hearing about how idiotic people can be. Thank you.

• The staff at the DoR didn’t see “whore” but only saw “who” just like everyone else. The only individual who saw “whore” was the dirty-minded person who got offended by it. Quite frankly, she sounds like a type who just likes to look for things to complain about and waste other people’s time. It wasn’t about money…it was about getting attention.

• Chuck says:

Maybe they just gave her the wrong number……….

• Shelly says:

Had the same thing happen in Missouri – my plate said FK4JOB. Politely asked for a free replacement and they said they didnt see anything wrong with the plate. So I had to threaten the folks in Jefferson City with sending the picture to Tosh.o or another comedy show to publicly embarrass them. My plate was replaced immediately FOC. Gotta fight for principle :)

• H. Calkins says:

This women’s mind is very impure!

• mean guy says:

Get a LIFE lady!!!!!!!

• Jim Cox says:

She must feel guilty about something…

• robert in WA says:

“While it is missing an “e,” Deb said most people who look at it see a dirty word. “~~ ACCORDING to the Survey done in this article 77% DO NOT see a problem. WHO is a dirty word??! yOu made urself looK like a whiner n complainer n mOOcher annd i think u owe the state $17 …

• This woman needs to get a life. perhaps she is worried about this plate because of her past????

When the state gives her a new plate it should say: “STUPID”

• Carl says:

Bet she is into ALL the conspiracy theories, too. I thought it said “Bats in the Belfry”.

• James B says:

So this Lady is upset by a plate with a simple math operation? Guess she doesn’t know how to do simple multiplication. I see the plate says who 15 r 8 x(which is math symbol for multiplication but also can be used in algebra equation). I know the lady missed the 15 on the sticker but not all of us have our minds in the gutter like her.

• DK says:

I’m originally from St. Louis and I’m not sure who are the bigger idiots the woman and her daughter or KTVI-Fox producers for giving her their attention.

• Really Channel 2 News? You need to enable dingbats like this? This mentality is exactly what’s wrong with our society!

• Jenmail says:

Who Rakes!?
    “My daughter drives this car.” I can’t stop laughing.

• Patrick says:

Don’t move to Idaho she would really be offended there! I da ho!

• Dean O'Brien says:

Wow! The level of COMPASSION so many of you seem capable of is truly amazing to behold!

• Kacie Werner says:

I completely agree with you! I read it as WHO R8X, never saw the word “whor” until she pointed it out.

• Mike says:

Funny how she’s so offended yet refuses to pony up 17$
    People like this get on my last nerve!

• Love the Lord says:

If you only knew how idiotic your statement is. :)

• Dice says:

I saw who rocks(rox). that it was cool then lady ruined it…

• Kenny says:

You could also read it as who rex, like mine says who s1k or who suk or whos sick