Cardinals trade Freese in a four player deal with the Angels

Posted on: 1:55 pm, November 22, 2013, by , updated on: 10:07pm, November 22, 2013

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – The Cardinals have announced a four player trade with the Los Angeles Angels.  The Redbirds will be picking up Peter Bourgos and Randal Grichuk in exchange for third baseman David Freese and pitcher Fernando Salas.

The Yankees and Marlins reportedly also expressed interest in the trade. But, Freese’s power numbers were way down this past season.  Matt Carpenter will now probably play at thirdand Kolten Wong would be at second base.

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said in a release from the team, “We wish both David and Fernando the best and thank them for their contributions – especially the many memorable moments they provided during the 2011 Championship season.”

26-year-old Bourjos is a career .251 batter with 24 home runs, 18 triples and 89 RBI in 354 games.  He has stolen 41 bases in 54 attempts, including a career-high 22 in 2011.  The right-handed hitting Bourjos is considered to be a Gold Glove caliber defender, having made just seven errors in over 2,500 innings played.

22-year-old Grichuk spent the 2013 season playing for the Double-A Arkansas affiliate of the Angels.  In 128 games, he picked up 57 extra-base hits including 27 doubles and 22 home runs.  His 22 homers led the team and ranked 6th in the Texas League.  Grichuk batted from the leadoff position in the majority of his games at Double-A, and committed just two errors playing both center and right field for the Travelers.

• Jim says:

Hate to see him go, But Baseball is a performance driven sport, if you don’t perform, your history

• Cindy Clayman says:

I hate this for st. louis. I think David Freese could have been a Cardinal Lifer. I believe he would have gotten better and better along the way! I will truly miss having him to cheer for. It’s not possible for every ball player to have a perfect season every single year; Freese was part of a spectacular season and should have been rewared for it instead of traded for it. In my opinion it seems that we don’t allow good players to say long enough to become great players.

• cards fan says:

I agree with you. David is an awesome player & he will be missed. Bad move by the Cards.

• rherboth57@gmail.com says:

I also agree. All players have their slumps, but they pull themselves out, they don’t give up. David is a great player and has proven it to us. I fel the Cardinal Organization has made a disappointing mistake.

• Tom Beebe says:

Is this one story or two?

Body found with gun shot to head in North St. Louis yard
    Family Questions Whether Man’s Death Was Accidental

• Gabe says:

So many thought not having Pujols here would be a bad thing too. I say the Redbirds have done pretty well without him. Sure it will continue without Freese and Salas too. Just sayin’

• Scott says:

no more Imo’s pizza….huh??

• Barb says:

Very upset about the trade, he was good for St. Louis. He will be missed and I wish him all the best. I feel it was a bad move.

• Patricia says:

I feet that way, too. I hope that he’ll come back as better person in the future after proving that he can or could play ok with the Angels. I also hope that he won’t get a long term deal, but maybe a 1-year contract. I really love all his work that he did and hope still does in Saint Louis. He can hopefully do those Imo’s commercial, too since he signed a 3 year deal with the company. But right now, I’ll miss watching him play for the Cards, though.

• jerome says:

the cards have made it clear in the last few trades that their pocket book is more important than the player. They stay in the post season though. hmmm

• vinny V says:

Unreal….

• Dawn says:

I’m very upset about this trade. Do they forget the past 2011 and 2012 seasons. He looked like he was in pain during the world series. Come on give him a break. He loves the cardinals and playing close to his friends and family. He is the reason I went to the games.He is a great player and a great guy. Plus he didn’t make that much money. Look at some of the pitchers and others that weren’t world series MVP”s I have loved the cardinals since I was a kid playing baseball and now I don’t care if I even go to one cardinal game in 2014!! The management doesn’t care about their players or their fans as far as I am concerned!!

• Here is an idea, stop with the helicopter flying across the page when you open this site.
    Maybe if enough people agree you will stop this BS.

• bret says:

“Its a business, I ain’t UNICEF!”

Guy was overpaid and his lack of power and subpar defense as a 3B was looked past bc of a 3 week span that helped win a WS. He won’t be forgotten for that moment in his career, but it doesn’t justify keeping a guy. Just ask David Tyree who made the catch of a lifetime to win the super bowl and now he sits in a cubicle somewhere bc he got cut that next offseason.

• William Hall says:

He won’t run into any Deer out there…lol. He had his time here but his D dropped along with his bat and along came another Carpenter….

• the technique is extremely fantastic. But I really do not believe everybody can apply it.
    maillot de foot 2012 2013 http://maillot-football-pas-cher.asktorihartman.com