Mom hopes her photos will help women love their bodies

Posted on: 10:18 am, December 18, 2013, by , updated on: 06:19pm, December 18, 2013

Photo credit Body Image Movement Facebook

Photo credit Body Image Movement Facebook

By Kasey Babbitt – FOX4KC.com

AUSTRALIA — One mom is striking back at the woman who posted a picture of her toned body following childbirth, asking other women what their excuse was.

Taryn Brumfitt, 35, is a mother of three who has been on mission to encourage women to live healthy and love their bodies at every shape and size. She calls her mission the Body Image Movement and earlier this year she became an internet celebrity after posting a very nontraditional “before & after” photo of herself on Facebook that went viral.

Photo credit: Body Image Movement | Facebook

Photo credit: Body Image Movement | Facebook

“I’m on a quest to redefine and rewrite the ideals of beauty. Women have been brainwashed into thinking fat, wrinkles and cellulite are bad. They’re not. It’s just a part of being a human being,” Brumfitt told the Daily Mail.

Recently, she caught the media’s attention with a blog post she wrote in response to a viral Facebook photo that was put up by a woman named Maria Kang. Kang, who is also a mother of three, put up a photo of herself, looking very fit, along with her three kids, the youngest being eight months old, with a caption that read ‘What’s your excuse?’ The photo sparked outrage among several women, and Brumfitt became a voice for them with her blog post entitled, “Dear Maria Kang…this is my excuse!”

‘To look like she does is (for most people) completely doable, if you are willing to sacrifice most of the things that you love. And I wasn’t willing to do that. I don’t know about you, but I really enjoy hanging out with my kids, sleeping in on the weekends, eating what I want and when I want and having the occasional night out with the girls,’ Brumfitt wrote in her blog.

RELATED: Mother of 3 posts pic of her fit body, get criticizes for shaming other women

She also addressed her critics, and wrote that she was not advocating a non-healthy lifestyle, but rather a healthy one that encompasses every part of what she considers health to be.

‘Health is physical, emotional and spiritual and so much more that is not visible and not always obvious to others,’ she wrote.

For Brumfitt, the love for her post-baby body was not always there. She said after her three children were born, she even considered having plastic surgery. In 2012, she went as far as visiting a doctor for a consult, and scheduled surgeries for a tummy tuck, breast lift, and breast implants. She said she almost went through with it until she had an epiphany moment one day as she watched her daughter, Mikaela, play.

At that moment, Brumfitt decided that if she was ever going to teach her daughter to love her own body, then she would have to be that example for her. She cancelled her surgeries, and even entered a sports figure competition, which she trained 15 weeks for, reaching her fitness goals without medical intervention.

In her blog, Brumfitt details the changes her body has gone through over the years, in sometimes extremely personal detail, as part of her mission to be real with both herself and her audience. She hopes to empower women (and men) to embrace their body and all the changes it will endure throughout their lives, and in turn discover real health and happiness.

• Cynthia B. says:

I really like this because the real point is to just be happy and content with yourself. This isnt an extreme advocating being uncomfortably disciplined and its not advocating being uncomfortably fat either. Its being okay with not building muscle on a strength training regimine so one can be perceived as looking healthy. It is being personally comfortable emotionally whether the results of your cardio you do with your little children can be seen by others. It is being your own judge and navigator of your own life, without our obesity- shaming culture digging its presence further, shifting politically correct comments in social media into an okay-ed presence of more impolite yet socially acceptable comments made about other people”s “un healthy” bodies if their bodies are not hardened. I have more respect for a campaign such as this one that promotes self acceptance and a campaign that does not ask you to change yourself, when youve not said there is anything youd change. Im just not sure we should jump into an extreme that that sets the only acceptable body type as a muscular body. When we glorify one thing as healthy, we leave all others struggling with body image, where in reality, while muscle is a good thing, cardio is heart healthy as well, and very well could be the healthy thing you dont see in all body types. Lets not forget that and accept all with love, whether healthy unhealthy muscular or soft bodied or obese.

• This is stupid says:

So stupid

• joe says:

kids ruin a womans body. will never be the same.

• LaKeisha Ducote says:

I admire what she did!!! Simply courageous and amazing!

• Hasan Kostic says:

More power to you. Without loving your self the world can’t love you back.. accept embrace your beauty!

• Mike says:

Id bang her

• Kay says:

For the people (men) that seem to have a problem with this, don’t worry I’m sure you have (or will get) your girl with the supermodel body who is just as stupid and ignorant as you :)

• Karen says:

She is way prettier and more feminine in the after picture. But if she felt good as a body builder more power to her. People are not their bodies, and we all need to be a bit more accepting of ourselves and others.

• joe says:

kay, as long as my super model learns to keep her mouth shut, I could care less about her ignorance or her stupidity. just needs to sit there and smile.

• Jonny5 says:

This is SOOO stupid. What an idiot of a women for encouraging something like this. The reason why fit women who have good bodies look the way they do is because they work hard for it. Hard Work -equals- Fit -equals- Healthy -equals- Attractive. It means showing a little will power (not eating everything you want), a little hard work (working out, keeping fit), dedication (sticking to a healthy routine). Those are all GREAT things, which are great for anyone to incorporate into their daily life. First of all you will start feeling better (Physically you will feel better; you will feel more alive)(And mentally you will feel better; you will have a good sense of pride for what you acomplished and a great new confidence). EVERYONE if they got on a good healthy routine and worked hard to achieve healthy goals would be way better off.

So bottom line: forget about this “bad example” mom presenting you a fat unhealthy body (P.S. cellulite is NOT attractive Taryn) and listen to those “Whats your excuse” mom’s guiding you in a good healthy direction. I promise you will feel a whole lot better (inside and out) following the latter.

• Erika Ryon says:

I disagree with your post Jonny5. First of all, you really have no room to say anything about the weight loss after childbirth, because you aren’t a woman who has given childbirth. I do agree that woman all have the ability to lose any type of weight, and maintain a good healthy size, if willing to put in the work. But for this woman to put herself out there and show woman that they should be PROUD of whatever they might look like after giving birth, is amazing. I have had a child, I gained 60 pounds, went from a size 0, to a size 13. I am now back to a size 1-3, but was so embarassed of my body. There is NO reason any woman should be ashamed, and you are a prime example of why (for some reason) woman are ashamed. Cellulite isn’t attractive, but it is nothing to be ashamed of after giving birth. The point is that you don’t have to be this perfect person who is a size 0-3, with a perfectly toned body, no stretchmarks, etc. I think you even missed the point of this story. Yes, America has become so overly fit and afraid of being ridiculed. I myself have gone through the feelings of embarrassment because my body was never the same after child birth, and I did have to work to get my body to a comfortable place, but it starts within. and it doesn’t help to have people like you criticizing the post pregnancy body like you just did. I saw the other article that this one was in defense of, and I thought more power to her, because I know from experience it isn’t easy to lose the weight, but your response to this was just disgusting. I know mothers who work 40 hours plus a week, go to school full time, and manage to raise 4 kids on their own. And so they have put themselves aside to raise their family, work and take time to study, they are lucky if they have time to sleep in between all of it. No person will ever understand that life until they walk in those shoes. No person should ever put their health on the sidelines, or gain an unhealthy amount of weight, but it happens, and it’s not because they “eat everything the want” or because they are lazy. Encouragement is a wonderful thing and I applaud the other article for encouraging mothers to work hard to lose post pregnancy weight, but this one is also beautiful because not every woman has to be a perfect 10. Who in the hell decided that anyway?! You? That you have to be tone to be beautiful? BS! To be beautiful, you have to have intelligence, love, understanding, and a real true heart. Beauty is more than just an outside appearance. A woman’s body is more than just something to idolize. Woman, be proud of your body’s, I think that’s what she was getting at. And yes, we can all use a little encouragement to push ourselves to lose weight, because we could all use a healthy lifestyle, it would really benefit us in the long run. But I KNOW that not all woman who bear children are lazy, or “fatasses who eat whatever they want”. Don’t turn this article into something to be criticized. We should also not criticize the other beauty who lost all of her baby weight, applaud her. They both put themselves out there for women everywhere.

• Chris says:

Bahaha i doubt you have a super model gf, and if so you wouldn’t r making fun of this beautiful women. Let’s be honest this photo is prob the most you’ve seen in ages with that sorry attitude. While this women is feel amazing your negative super model seeking lonely loser. Also not all models are dumb they do talk…

• Chris says:

That’s disgusting. I just gagged when I saw that.

• I agree with her on some points and disagree with her on others. I believe the focus needs to be on HEALTH. When we start focusing on our overall health the rest of it falls into place. We don’t need to be so wrapped up in what the scale says BUT we do need to be concerned with FAT PERCENTAGE. The amount of fat we are carrying around directly sets us up for multiple problems (heart disease ,stroke, diabetes, depression, etc.). Eating right (whole, unprocessed foods), exercising, and loving others & ourselves makes a world of difference!

• RE says:

No, this is NOT stupid…you are just plain rude! People with comments like “what’s your excuse?” may have all the time in the world to exercise, and money to join gyms and hire personal trainers. Also, It depends on a person’s metabolism and genetic makeup for ease of weight loss after childbirth. Don’t be so insensitive! Not all of us who have stretched out skin (I had full weight full term twins), or a bit of cellulite can lose it as easily as those braggarts in the articles. Ad the older we get, the harder it is… :/