(KTVI)-Want a Super Bowl spread but don’t want to be stuck at home all day Sunday? Vicky Braun is an O’Fallon, MO resident and slow cooker guru. She has some ideas for you and your slow cooker on this unofficial holiday.
Braun has invented a kitchen gadget called the Lid Pocket which attaches to the side of most slow cookers and holds the lid, freeing up countertop space and your hands to stir, season, and plate.
Website: Check Out Vicky Braun on Pinterest
Slow Cooker Rueben Dip
- 1 ½ cups grated Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup drained sauerkraut
- ½ cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- ½ pound thinly sliced corned beef; chopped
- 1 small onion; finely chopped
- Optional: 3 Tablespoons horseradish
Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients and add to the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 2 hours (cooking times will vary). Stir occasionally. Serve with rye bread, crackers or bagel slices.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (16 oz) can chili beans
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 fluid oz) bottle beer
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning
- 3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese; sour cream; crushed tortilla chips
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for LOW heat, cover, and cook for 4-5 hours. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and shred with two forks. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 1-2 hours. Options: Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker Hot Apple Cider
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 4-6 cinnamon sticks
- 3 medium oranges
- ¼ cup whole cloves
- Additional cinnamon sticks for serving
Pour the apple cider into the slow cooker and add the cinnamon sticks. Poke the cloves into two (2) oranges and add them to the cider. Cut the third orange into slices and place it into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours. Place a fresh cinnamon stick in each glass. For an adult beverage, add some rum. Serve and enjoy. Serves: 16-20.