(KTVI)- Chili is a popular Super Bowl party food item. So here at FOX 2, we decided to have a challenge. Who makes the best chili: Mandy Murphey, Randi Naughton, of Kim Hudson? Maryland Heights Firefighters will decide.
Randi’s Award Winning White Chicken Chili
- 1 Lb of boneless chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs/cut into cubes
- 1-can Chicken broth
- 2-cans Great northern beans w/sauce
- 2-cloves Garlic
- Chopped Onions
- Olive oil
- Sm. CAN chopped chili peppers
- Jar salsa verde
- Chili powder
- Chopped cilantro (fresh or dried)
- Sour cream
Directions: **Taste as you go along to regulate spice
Saute chopped onions and minced garlic in olive oil till onions are clear.
Add chicken…sauté until brown
Add chicken broth/bring to boil
Add beans, spices, salsa and chilis…lower heat to simmer for 20-minutes to let it thicken.
Add sour cream to help thicken more
Serve in bowls or over chips with a dollop of sour cream.
Mandy Murphey's Chili
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (or ground sirloin)
- 1 small onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 heaping table spoons flour
- 4 heaping table spoons sugar
- Two tablespoons chili powder (my kids don't like spicy so sometimes I add a little less)
- One can tomato soup
- One large can mild chili beans
- One chili stick
Brown ground beef with chopped onion, Drain
Mix flour, sugar and chili powder in a small bowl. add to ground beef mixture.
Put in crockpot.
Add soup, beans and chop up chili stick.
Add water to desired thickness. I usually add about a half can of water. Add salt and pepper.
Start cooker on high for about an hour then turn to low and cook all day if desired, but at least 3 to 4 hours.
You can follow the same instructions and cook on the stove for an hour.
Kim Hudson’s Veggie Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 bunches broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1.Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. When vegetables are heated through, reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
2.Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.