Where to watch Fox 2 News during the US Open and World Cup soccer

Dry weather contributes to 2 house fires

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. PETERS, MO (KTVI) – In a span of less than 16 hours on Tuesday, March 18th, two family homes in St. Peters were damaged from fires caused by cigarette butts thrown onto dry grassy areas. In both cases the back of the homes were damaged.

One home had its deck partially destroyed, and another home suffered severe damage to the rear of the home.

The St. Charles Central County Fire & Rescue wants to remind smoker to dispose of their cigarette butt properly in dry weather and for everyone to remember that coals from barbeques can ignite fires for up to 24 hours after the fire has gone out.