(KTVI) - Improperly prepared eggs can leave your stomach "hopping down the bunny trail" this Easter.
Saint Louis University dietitian Katie Eliot shells out some useful facts.
· Eggs are a great source of protein, and bacteria thrive on protein - which is why you need to be careful to prepare and store eggs properly.
· The keys to egg safety are time and temperature. Don`t keep them out too long at a temperature where bacteria can grow.
· Select eggs that don`t have cracks.
· Store them in your refrigerator.
· Cook them to the right temperature.
· Don`t leave them sitting out for more than two hours if you plan to eat them.
· In other words, don`t hide boiled eggs for an Easter egg hunt that lets them stay out (unrefrigerated) for two hours, then serve them as egg salad.