Closings: Schools, churches, day-cares and businesses
Spirit of St. Louis – Pick Your Charity, Pick Your Car

Brentwood residents upset over flash flooding

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BRENTWOOD, MO (KTVI) – There were flashing flooding fears in Brentwood early Tuesday night.

Residents said it was creating dangerous conditions.

But they didn’t blame the storms.

City officials have issued issued citations against the owner of the suddenly flood prone corner of York and Middlesex in the York Village neighborhood.

As FOX2 first reported in January, the property owner leveled the little forest that was there, taking out dozens of trees.

“When I walked down and actually looked at it, what was here.  I’ve seen tornados, what nature does.  I’ve never seen something like this before.  It makes me feel sad,” resident Anne Keely said in January.

The little creek alongside had been flooding ever since, residents said.

Part of the pavement had also collapsed into a sink hole in the middle of the street.

The flood water was backed-up storm water rushing over the road and over the top of an apparently clogged drain pipe.

Storm water also rose from the sink hole and rushed over the pavement instead of below it.

“We have a sink hole now.  That was never there either.  So, that’s all new,” resident Kevin Bailey said.  “It’s ironic, it didn’t have a problem until they cleared the trees…I’ve been here now 12 years. We’ve never flooded, not even the simplest form of flood.  Now, we get these downpours, its obvious what’s happening.  We’re getting a dangerous situation across the street.”

The property seems too small for a house. Neighborhood by-laws also prohibit additional dwellings in York Village.  There was no development plan submitted to the city.

Property owner, Boris Bukhstaber, faces fines of up to $500 per citation, Brentwood City Attorney Mike Shelton said.
He was due in court Monday night but the case was continued until next month.

He told FOX2 he was in the process of working things out with the city but otherwise had no comment.

Previous Coverage:
Residents upset after neighborhood forest chopped down without warning

Follow Andy Banker on Twitter and Facebook:
Twitter@andybankertv
Facebook@andybankerfox2
Email: andy.banker@tvstl.com