Where to watch Fox 2 News during the US Open and World Cup soccer

Boy’s death caused by improperly grounded camper

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DIXON, Ill. (AP) _ The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Illinois boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper.

The (Dixon) Telegraph reports it’s a problem known among recreational vehicle enthusiasts as “hot skin.”

Landyn Gerald Keener, a 3-year-old from Amboy, died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.

Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and says nobody was at fault.

Electrical engineer Mike Sokol tells the newspaper he’s started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.

___

Online: http://www.noshockzone.org/
___
Iformation from: Dixon Telegraph, saukvalley.com