WAUKESHA, WI (WITI) — A healthy 12-year girl is dead and her parents are looking for answers.
Meredith Prohaska’s mother took her to the doctor to be treated for a sore throat. While they were seeing the physician she got a HPV vaccine. A half hour later she fell asleep and her mother went out to get some food. When she got back she found Meredith on the floor.
Meredith was rushed to the hospital by an ambulance. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. No one could say why.
Her parents say that the only thing different that day was getting the vaccine. According to WITI-TV her mother, Rebecca Prohaska remembers a rare potential side effect of the HPV vaccine — an allergic reaction. Meredith’s autopsy report rules her cause of death as inconclusive.
Her family is waiting on the results of more tests. They’re still searching for answers.
The Prohaskas have donated Meredith’s organs and tissue so others can live a healthier life. Meredith will be buried on Saturday.