Where to watch Fox 2 News during the US Open and World Cup soccer

The rare disease that could come from your medicine cabinet

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A West Michigan family is sharing their story to raise awareness about a rare syndrome that many don’t know too much about. They didn’t either when it blindsided their family. A loved one suffering from what they thought was flu like symptoms from a bug bite, sadly, turning out to be much worse. The disease is called Stevens Johnson Syndrome or “SJS.” Its an extremely rare disease that is most commonly caused by antibiotics like penicillin or bactruim impacting less than 1-percent of the people who use them each year.

WXMI-TV reports that 24-year-old Cassandra Campbell’s family says she got the disease from some medicine she was taking for a bug bite, which spread quickly, taking over her body and eventually her life.

Cassandra just had a baby on June 29th three weeks before she passed and had started a new profession working side by side with her father. She was learning to become a tattoo artist with her father, and this was the first tattoo she designed for her mother.

Steven Johnson Disease is what took Cassie’s life. But, it took doctors and her parents days to diagnose. After that she went to the ER two different times in the next several days for flu like symptoms, and a rash. Then her mom got a disturbing call. Cassandra was rushed to the hospital July 13th.

They diagnosed Cassandra with SJS on the 14th of July, and her rash got exceedingly worse, and they treated her as burn patient. Cassie’s skin was essentially blistering, and falling off. Doctors say once the disease starts, it’s treatable but not always curable, and even though the disease has been documented in literature for years, they are unsure what the singular ingredient in the medications is causing it. Essentially her tissue in her body was breaking down, and eventually her veins gave out. Doctors performed CPR on her 3 separate times.

And all Cassie’s parents could think of at that moment was that they wish they would have known that what they thought was just a rash, had the ability to take their daughter away from this earth.