(KTVI)- It’s time to go driving with Dan Weise in the 2014 BMW i8.
The Post-Dispatch automotive writer shows us all of its new features.
Driving With Dan is sponsored by: carsoup.com
• Every BMW i8 built in calendar-year 2014 will be designated a 2014 model. No 2015 model will be manufactured until after the first of the year, and changes are highly unlikely.
• This is one vision of the sports car's "sustainable, eco-friendly" future. It's the first-ever high-performance plug-in hybrid from BMW.
• The BMW i8 is a gas/electric plug-in hybrid, meaning it can be plugged into an electric outlet and charged up for pure electric driving. The car has an electric-only range of 22 miles before the 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder gasoline engine kicks in. While driving, the electric motor and battery pack continue to assist the gasoline engine, just as in any hybrid.
• This futuristic ride is a hot performer, despite its tiny gas engine. With that engine assisted by a lithium-ion battery pack and twin electric motors, the car boasts total-system horsepower of 362 hp. It'll go from zero-to-60 mph in 4.2 seconds with a top speed of 155 mph.
• The BMW i8, with its "swan wing" doors, is as futuristically styled -- maybe more so -- than the highly modified DeLorean in the "Back to the Future movies." All it lacks is a flux capacitor!
• The BMW i8 is a "halo car" and a "compliance car," meaning its job is to make federal EPA regulators happy. It will not sell in volumes enough to be the product that keeps the lights on at BMW. BMW will manufacture only about 500 per year for worldwide sales.