(KTVI)- Happy National Bologna Day to lovers of the pressed meat.
Some think bologna is only good for sandwiches. But, Carol Hurst offers a twist that can be a sumptuous breakfast dish good for any time of day.
Vegans will not be left out of this meal or national celebration.
Bologna Breakfast Egg Cups
These tasty egg bundles are great for a family gathering such a brunch, an everyday breakfast, or even as a lunch along with a light salad.
1 slice of bologna for each desired serving (You can use ‘regular’ bologna, or even turkey or vegan varieties)
1 egg for each desired serving
1 tsp milk for each desired serving
Salt and pepper and chopped parsley
Optional garnishments: ½ cup chili per serving, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped chives
1) Place bologna between layers of paper towel and arrange on a tray.
2) Microwave on high power for 1/2 to 1 minute. Be careful not to overheat. You can also lightly fry the bologna on the stovetop instead of using the microwave.
3) Place one slice of bologna in to each muffin cup (or can do separately in custard cups) that has been lightly sprayed with cooking oil.
4) Break egg into the center of the bologna cups.
5) Add 1 tsp milk over the top of each egg.
6) Top the cup with 1 teaspoon milk, salt and pepper.
7) Cook in a 375-degree oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the eggs are set.
8) Let the cups remain covered for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes before serving.Serve along with desired garnishments.