ST. LOUIS (KTVI) – We know that drinking water is a healthy option, but did you know it’s especially important during winter?
Katie Lambert, a dietician with Barnes Jewish Hospital, visits Fox 2 News in the Morning with five reasons why you should be gulping more water in water:
1. Increase of water loss in winter
2. Healthier and brighter skin
3. Fight off the winter weight gain
4. Increase of energy
5. Improved digestion
Five Tips to Help You Drink More H2O
1. Have a beverage with every snack and meal.
2. Choose beverages you enjoy; you're likely to drink more liquids if you like the way they taste.
3. Keep a bottle of water with you in your car, at your desk, or in your bag.
4. Choose beverages that meet your individual needs. If you're watching calories, go for non-caloric beverages or water.
5. Eat more fruits and vegetables - more is better
How do Fruits and Veggies Relate to Water?
1. Their high water content will add to your hydration. About 20 percent of our fluid intake comes from foods.
2. Adults need anywhere from 7-13 cups of produce daily to get all the health benefits of fruits and vegetables -- including possible protection against obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer.
3. Remember that "flash-frozen" or canned vegetables without salt or heavy syrup can be just as good as locally grown produce.
4. Always keep a stash of frozen vegetables on hand to toss into soups, salads, stews and egg dishes or to microwave for an easy side dish.
For additional information visit barnesjewish.org.