Tick bite leaves mother a quadruple amputee

SHAWNEE, OK - A holiday trip turned into a nightmare for an Oklahoma family.
A mother of two is now in the hospital, after a tick bite left her a quadruple amputee.
Morgan Chesky reports.

It's the photo capturing a Fourth of July trip, forever changing Jo Rogers' life.

(Lisa Morgan) "She's a beautiful, energetic fun person and I mean nobody deserves this."

Four days after visiting grand lake, Jo thought she had the flu. On day five, her family took her to a hospital.

(Lisa Morgan) "She was shaking her hands because they hurt, her feet hurt.  They tested her for West Nile Virus and for meningitis."

Those results came back negative. But by day six doctors said Jo's organs were shutting down, and by day 7.

(Lisa Morgan) "By Saturday morning her hands and feet were turning dark blue and black."

And it was then, someone thought to check for what may have happened just one week earlier.

(Lisa Morgan) "She got bit by a tick."

That one bite, enough for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever to ravage Jo's body. Forcing doctors to amputate her right leg, and go from there.

(Lisa Morgan) "Below the knee of her left leg and below both elbows of her arms to save her life, to keep the infection from getting to her vital organs."

Now, a quad amputee, Jo's family is rallying around her. Raising money to help her in a new life - they say she's lucky to have.

(Lisa Morgan) "You're still with us, you're going to get to watch your boys grow up and you've got a lot people pulling for you, she really does."

In Shawnee, Morgan Chesky, KOCO Five News.

35.327293 -96.925300