ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- This Friday, as the Cardinals get ready at Busch Stadium, the Soulard Oktoberfest will begin. This year will feature Scnitzels and Giggles, home of Schnizel on a stick and chef Alex Grafts creations.
RECIPE: Wiener Schnitzel or Schnitzel from Vienna, Austria
By Chef Robert Graf owner Schnitzels & Giggles
- 2 pieces of 5 or 6 oz each Boneless Porkloin Cutlets
- Flour for dredging
- 2 eggs & 2 Tablespoons of water beaten
- Plain breadcrumbs, home made are best but store bought will be fine
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Canola Oil & Butter for frying
- Lemon for Garnish
- With a mallet flatten the cutlet to just under ¼ inch thickness, cover cutlets with a piece of plastic wrap or a baggie while pounding. Season with salt and pepper
- Dredge the Veal in flour on both sides then dip floured veal through the egg mixture.
- Finally the veal goes into the breadcrumbs, bread on both sides.
- Gently shake off the excess breading, DO NOT PUSH IT DOWN!
- Fry in oil/butter mixture until golden on both sides, approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Keep warm on plate in the oven at about 200 degrees if you are making a bunch of them for a larger dinner party.
- Plate and garnish with a slice of lemon. Serve with Spätzle and red cabbage or Warm Potato Salad and home made whole Cranberry sauce.