WARNING: SOME OF THE IMAGES IN THIS STORY MAY BE CONSIDERED GRAPHIC
LOUISVILLE, KY (WLKY) - A woman is recovering from an infection on her wrist, that doctors say was caused in part by a glittery hair-tie. WLKY-TV reports that Audree Kopp had emergency surgery because of the type of hair-tie she wore.
So many girls and women keep a hair-tie on their wrist, just in case they need it. Kopp says from now on she'll only use smooth, easy to clean, hair-ties. She says the glittery one is what caused infections, prompting emergency surgery last week.
"I didn't believe it at first, I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair-ties." said Audree Kopp.
Nearly two weeks ago, Audree Kopp was in the middle of moving into her new home. In the midst of the chaos, she noticed a growing bump on her wrist. It just kept getting bigger and redder and worse.
Kopp went to her doctor, who gave her antibiotics, but the bump continued to grow, so she went to the Emergency Room.
"They said I needed surgery , and thank God I caught it in time or I could have had sepsis," said Audree Kopp.
"She had a large abscess on the back of the wrist, so I basically made an incision and drained the pus all the way down to the deeper layers of the skin," said Dr. Amit Gupta.
Dr. Amit Gupta says bacteria from Kopp's hair-tie likely got under her skin, through her pores and hair follicles, causing three types of infections.
Kopp says she won't wear hair-ties on her wrist anymore, especially ones that are tough to keep clean. She's thankful her story has a positive outcome. It could have been a whole different ballgame. Once it gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma, your body shuts down, it could have been way worse.
Kopp, who is right-handed, says she learned to rely on her left hand. She wrote about the experience on Facebook, showing the bump as it continued to grow. She wrote:
"3 bacterias …. strep, staph, AND poly negative. I want to inform everyone to make sure no one else has to go thru this," Kopp wrote in one post. "The GLITTER tie is the one that caused the issue."
Doctors suggest washing the bands if possible and to avoid leaving them on your wrist for extended periods of time.