ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- Dr. Jackie Miller, a member of the American Association of Orthodontists, joined us on FOX 2 News in the Morning with some 'braces-friendly' holiday recipe ideas.
Orthodontist approved holiday recipes:
Pumpkin pie smoothie
(8 8- ounce servings)
- 1-15 ounce can of pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup of brown sugar, or more if you like it sweeter
- ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup ice
- whipped cream and crumbled graham crackers for topping
- Combine pumpkin, milk, half and half, yogurt, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in blender. Blend until mixture is smooth. Add ice and blend again.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and crumbled graham crackers.
Asparagus and prosciutto puff pastry christmas wreath
- 1 box of puff pastry dough, thawed
- 12 medium thick stalks of asparagus, woody part of the stems removed
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash
- red bell pepper for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 f. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets and cut each one into 12 squares.
- Wrap each asparagus stalk with a slice of prosciutto and cut in half crosswise.
- Place each prosciutto wrapped asparagus piece on top of a puff pastry square, diagonally, and roll up.
- Place 12 on each baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- On a round serving platter, place the puffs in a wreath shape and serve while warm. Cut red bell pepper into pieces to make a bow and use as garnish if desired.
Chanukah gelt wontons (photo not available)
- 24 round wonton wrappers
- 12 large chocolate coins (1 ½')
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup cinnamon sugar
- Lay out 12 of the wonton wrappers on a clean work surface.
- Unwrap the chocolate coins and place one in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Lightly brush the edges of each wonton wrapper with water and place another wonton wrapper on top, pressing the edges to seal in the chocolate coin.
- Place butter and canola oil into a large frying pan and melt on medium heat.
- Fry each wonton for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place the cinnamon sugar in a shallow bowl and dip both side of the wonton until coated.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
For more information visit mylifesmile.org