Spirit of St. Louis – Pick Your Charity, Pick Your Car

Elderly Macoupin County man killed in shed fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SCOTTVILLE, IL (KTVI) – A 79-year-old Scottville man died Thursday after being overwhelmed by fumes in a shed fire, the Macoupin County Coroner’s Office said.

According to authorities, the fire occurred at a machine shed next to the home of Charles Camerer. Greenfield and Hettick fire departments were dispatched to the scene.

Camerer and his son-in-law were working on a vehicle when fuel was ignited after fumes reached the water heater. Both men attempted to move vehicles out of the shed, but Camerer was unable to escape the shed at one point.

Camerer was pronounced dead at the scene around 5:45 p.m.

The coroner determined Camerer likely died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.