Girl suffocated by birthday balloon

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORTLAND, OR - A little girl dies in her home in Portland, Oregon and now her family is warning others about the dangers of mylar balloons. The 8-year-old's dad found her in her bedroom, unconscious with a balloon over her head. Her parents had no idea this type of balloon could be deadly.

It still doesn't seem real. Pat McGlothlon's granddaughter is gone.

"She was in her room; she was supposed to be in bed sleeping."

Wednesday night, McGlothlon was home when she heard the screams.

"I heard something drop on the floor and somebody say oh my God call 911 and let's start CPR."

Upstairs, the little girl's father was giving her CPR after he found her lifeless in her bed.

"My son went in to check on her and all he seen was a foot sticking out of her bed. And then he took the covers off and found the balloon on her head."

He put her on the floor and cut the balloon off her head and then started CPR while we called 911. Portland firefighters were there within in a couple of minutes. Her grandmother says they tried to revive the little for nearly an hour. But it was too late.

Her granddaughter, a second grader at Russell elementary, died Wednesday night in their home.

"It was a big mylar balloon, it's like 3 and a half feet tall. It was the number 3. And they have different size fill holes. And the only thing we could think is that she opened it, to suck the helium out and put it over her head and she suffocated."

McGlouthlon hopes by sharing her granddaughter's story, she can help other families avoid the same tragedy.

"Right now it's just too raw with everybody. What can you say? We all want to turn back yesterday and start over again."

The death was ruled an accident and there won't be an official investigation.