OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma couple tells KFOR what started as a severe headache quickly turned deadly for their 24-year-old daughter, Elizabeth Knight.
The young mom had originally been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis but when she continued to rapidly deteriorate, doctors started asking more questions.
Days before her symptoms had started to develop, Knight took her two young kids to Lake Murray for the day. That was when doctors believe she was exposed to a rare but deadly amoeba called Naegleria fowleri.
Now, Elizabeth's parents are trying to keep her memory alive by sharing the steps you can take to protect yourself and your family.