(KTVI)-- A house fire in the south side neighborhood has claimed the life of a man described as a former Marine and a volunteer at the St. Louis Science Center.
This was at the 5900 block of Hilgard.
Firefighters say by the time numerous trucks arrived the interior of the house was a furnace of boiling smoke and roaring flames.
Fire crews from both St. Louis and Shrewsbury worked to contain the blaze and keep it from spreading to nearby homes. Neighbors who first noticed the fire immediately rushed over.
David Roche, 81, was described by neighbors as a former U.S. Marine who volunteered at the Science Center and was active in neighborhood affairs. His wife was at work when the fire occurred. She's described as being in shock.