Update: Charges Filed Officer Involved Incident Near SLU Hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS (KTVI)--Charges have been filed against a 21-year-old St.Louis man in connection with Wednesday's officer involved incident outside of St. Louis University Hospital. Tevin Martin of the 4600 block of Labadie faces charges of Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Resisting with an Arrest for a Felony and two counts of leaving the scene of a Motor Vehicle Accident.

There was gunfire on the ambulance ramp at St. Louis University Hospital Wednesday afternoon, after a St. Louis police detective spotted a man with a weapon.  It was one in a series of incidents that left at least three people shot at three different crime scenes.

Police say it began with an argument between three men in a car and a group of pedestrians at Stoddard and Glasgow in north St Louis.  At least one of the men got out of the car and police say a shootout followed. At least two people were hit in the gunfire, both passengers in the car.

The drive of the car then took his two wounded friends to SLU Hospital, about three miles away.  As he dropped them off, a city police homicide detective, there on other business, saw that he had a gun.  Police say the detective, a sergeant, ordered the man to drop the gun. When he didn’t the sergeant fired one shot, hitting the suspect.  It was a bad situation police concede could have been much worse on the busy hospital grounds.

“It could be, city police Captain Michael Sack said, “because you’ve got hospital staff tending to the two individuals to begin with so for a suspect to come up onto the  ramp here or anywhere near the hospital where you’ve got a lot of other patients and staff is very dangerous.”

The suspect, now hit by an officer’s  bullet, managed to get into his car and speed off.  Police say he made it to Kingshighway and Laclede in the Central West End when he crashed into a light pole, knocking it over onto his car.

Police say from there the man tried to flee on foot.  He was eventually caught and taken to the emergency room at Barnes Jewish.

Police say internal affairs will handle the officer involved shooting.  That would normally be investigated by homicide detectives, but because a member of that unit fired the shot, someone else has to take over.

Cops are still trying to determine what started the initial fight at Glasgow and Stoddard.  They’re also still looking for the man who shot the other two passengers in the car, presumably one of those pedestrians.