North City Woman Evicted Despite Protest

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORTH ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)-A north St. Louis woman has been evicted from her home despite efforts by a crowd of protestors to stop it.  St. Louis Sheriff's Deputies were met by demonstrators at Angelia Williams’ house on Penrose Street.  Deputies went inside anyway.

FOX 2 first brought you the story of Williams’ efforts to save her home of 20 years from foreclosure. That eviction was stopped by a crowd of protestors.  Friday, the eviction went through despite the demonstrators.

Williams said, “I just can't believe this is happening. I can't believe I have to give up my home for all these years that I’m willing to pay for but I just need a little help. Just as the banks had a bail-out and had some assistance. I can't believe because of the laws and the fraud and everything that happened that I still have to move out of my home.”

Williams was two years behind in her mortgage payments to Wells Fargo bank because she lost her job. Wells Fargo released a statement saying, “Wells Fargo worked with Ms. Williams for more than a year to attempt to find an option that would allow her to stay in the home. Despite providing some additional time, we did have to move forward with the eviction.”

As the protestors, calling themselves home defenders, continued their vigil,  the police arrived. Angelia Williams was out in the rain.

“I started trying to work out something with Wells Fargo while I was employed. They weren't listening then. They’re not listening now.”

So police and movers went inside and all of Williams’ possessions were taken out and loaded into a U-Haul she'd managed to hire.

And the house on Penrose Street?  Because the mortgage was an FHA loan, Wells Fargo says the house is now owned by the Federal Housing Administration and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, meaning the Federal government.

St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was supposed to hold a news conference to support Williams and to push for a mandatory foreclosure mediation law in the city. But after it was decided Williams would have lost her home even with such mediation, Slay's office cancelled the news conference.