Man Claims Girlfriend Sat Dead in Car for Nearly Three Days

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, MO (WDAF) – Amy Moore was Dennis Shepherd’s girlfriend and best friend.

“You’d see her, and she’d light up a room,” Shepherd said.

Shepherd says 41-year-old Moore needed to have some teeth pulled, and she went to her usual clinic at Truman Medical Center October 23 around 8 a.m. for the procedure. Shepherd says Moore called him around 10:30 after her appointment.

“She said, ‘I’m coming home. Do you want anything?’ And I told her, I said, ‘No, I just want to see you,’” Shepherd said.

But she didn’t come home, and Shepherd became worried. Shepherd said he asked security to look for Moore’s car in her usual spot — the garage at 2310 Holmes, but he claims the security officer he spoke with didn’t take him seriously though he says he called three times.

“I knew where her car would be because she always parked there, and it’s a small parking lot, and it has a guard shack on it,” Shepherd said.

Shepherd hoped Amy was at her apartment and just needed some time alone. The next day, October 24, Shepherd filed a missing person’s report. Finally, late on the night of the Oct. 25 Shepherd, an amputee, climbed into his vehicle and drove to the hospital. He saw her bright yellow car, he says in the exact same spot she always parks.

“I could smell a decomposing body when I pulled up to it and the windows were rolled up,” he said.

Shepherd is now asking why no one, including the parking lot attendant, noticed Moore’s bright yellow car with her inside earlier.

“She could’ve just looked out the back of her little parking lot hut and seen Amy in her car, no problem,” Shepherd claims.

Kansas City, Mo., police say there were no obvious signs of foul play in Moore’s death.

Truman Medical Centers released this statement in regard to the matter:

“Truman Medical Centers (TMC) was saddened to learn that a patient was found deceased in her car in a TMC parking garage on October 26. She had an outpatient procedure and was released from the Oral Surgery Clinic in stable condition and told staff she had a ride home. When she was discovered, TMC contacted the Kansas City Police Department immediately. A thorough investigation is currently underway and there is no evidence of foul play.

Our sympathy goes out to the family for their loss.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.